Saturday 21 September 2013

Cake Queen Karen from Bake Cake Create - Section 7a

Being a Cake Queen.  ‘Twas wonderful….

I remember seeing the first pictures of the ‘Starry Night’ collaboration on the internet and I was blown away by it.  Such a beautiful piece of artwork transformed into an edible art piece by 50 of the most talented cakers around the globe.  While never physically constructed together due to geographical logistics, I just loved the idea of a work of art being taken apart and 50 individuals putting their own stamp on their piece in edible format.  While each section was made up of varying techniques, when it came together in digital format, the result was beautiful and each piece merged perfectly into the next.  It didn’t matter that colours didn’t match, techniques didn’t match, it was instantly recognisable and I loved the fact that each piece was so individual to each artist. 

I remember talking about it with my very good friend Niamh, our Queen Bee of the Cake Queens and originator of our Edible Art project and we oohed and aahed and said to each other, ‘Wouldn't it be fantastic to be involved in something like that’.  For me, the dreamer, I just continued to dream about such things.  I’m a person ‘who does’ rather than being a go-getter.  Give me a task and I’ll do it to the very best of my ability but while I might have big dreams, I’m not the type of person to actually act upon them always.  Thankfully while Niamh is a dreamer too, she is, more importantly, a go-getter.  I should have known, when I heard strange whirring noises around the time of our Starry Night conversation, that Niamh’s brain had gone into overdrive and was already thinking about how we could do something similar in Ireland.

Niamh rang me at the start of the summer:

Niamh: Hiya, I’ve got a bit of an idea.

Me: Yeah? (there’s always a bit of apprehension/excitement in my voice when Niamh tells me she has an idea because you never know what she is going to say.  One of my favourite things about her, incidentally)

Niamh: Eh, what do you think of doing our own cake collaboration here in Ireland?

Me:  Oh God, YES, YES, YES (a little like Sally from ‘When Harry met Sally’ – I think I may have banged the table too!)

Niamh:  Really? 

Me:  YES!  Ger is on board, I presume?

Niamh:  Absolutely.

Good, I thought, as long as we have Ger, (who has the enviable quality of being able to instantly calm Niamh down in times of stress, by just saying the word ‘Breathe’), we’re going to be ok.  This could really work.  And there was the start of a beautiful project.

As you know by now from the other blog posts, the image chosen was the glorious "Croke Park to Aviva" painting by the very talented Simone Walsh.  I loved the painting, such detail, such vibrant colours.  Could 50 of us produce this in cake?  Yep, I had no doubts.  Of course, we had the added pressure of this being made entirely in cake and each piece fitting beautifully into the next piece and then being on display in front of the general public in an art gallery in Dublin.  Sizing, exact dimensions, 50 variants could equal disaster but …..nope we got there.  Each person received their section by post.  It was like a child waiting for Christmas to come, the excitement!  What piece was I going to get?  Each person posted up their piece on our Edible Art web page as they received them.  I particularly loved the ones with the brightly coloured houses and the ones containing those fab fish.  Mine arrived.  Top edge piece with the plane and part of Croke Park.  Ooh, I thought, I’m happy with that.



The first task was to cut out a sheet of florist paste to the exact dimensions of the picture.  Ok so far.  I’d deal with the cake later.  


I used my airbrush to create the beginnings of the sky.  



I rang Niamh at this point and said, ‘I’d like to do something a little different with my piece’.  Niamh said, straight off the bat, ‘Make the plane 3D’.  I’m not sure if she was half joking but a little lightbulb went off in my head and I thought, yes, that is exactly what I will do.  It would have to be pretty small but those of you who know me, know I love making little miniature things in sugar.  At this stage my florist paste was already drying out and I thought, oh oh, I need to make a hole in this to accommodate a flower pick.  I needed a section of florist wire to hold up my 3D plane and you can’t insert wire directly into a cake.  You insert a flower pick into the cake which then holds the wire so the wire never touches the cake.  I had images of Scrat from ‘Ice Age’ where he pulls his acorn out of the ice and the whole thing starts to crack.  If I pushed a flower pick into my already hardening florist paste, would it crack just like the ice?  Just had to go for it.  I didn’t breathe as I was pushing it through.  Thankfully, it didn’t crack.  I then traced the outline of Croke Park and the roundabout with spire at Dublin airport.




I chose to add depth to the sky with edible dusts rather than use the airbrush again.  The blue was not going to be an exact match to the original painting but having seen the variances with the blues in the Starry Night collaboration and how beautiful it turned out, I wasn’t too worried. 



I painted with edible paints on the remainder of the piece but used another section of florist paste to make my part of Croke Park with extruded piped sugarpaste for the gold accents.  While it was only an itsy bitsy section of Croke Park, it was detailed enough in the colours and depth.



Finally I made my little plane. Was smiling all the way through making it.  I wanted to mount the plane in such a way that if you looked at it from a bird's eye view, you wouldn't be able to tell that is was 3D.  I curled the florist wire, attached my little sugarpaste plane to the florist wire and mounted it into the flower pick.  I stood back to look and grinned from ear to ear.



Final stage was making the cake, 3 inches high and to the exact dimensions of the section we had received.  I love the mathematics behind cake making, so this was a part I enjoyed.  Sad….I know! 



I was involved with the huge task of fitting all the edible sections together.  Between Ger, Agatha and myself, we slowly saw the picture coming to life.  We were in awe and hugged each other and were so proud of everyone.  It was a wonderful moment when we inserted the very last piece.


I cannot tell you how much I enjoyed being part of this wonderful collaboration.  A dream come true for me.  Thanks so much to my brilliant creative friend Niamh and Geraldine who was such an integral part of this project – her organisational skills are unsurpassed and she kept everyone’s level of sanity at an even keel.  Can’t wait for the next project!  Roll on….and quickly!

No comments:

Post a Comment