Wednesday 18 September 2013

Cake Queen 6C - Bronagh from Cakes by Bronagh

Coming home from honeymoon in Mexico sucked but the very next day I got an exciting piece of post which eased the pain…..my image for the Edible Art project arrived!!! I oooed and aaahed quite a bit when I saw the gorgeous colours, wondering what exactly I would do and then quickly cleared a space for it on my kitchen notice board so it could inspire me!!

 

In the end I started working on the piece the week before it was due. I had great fun over the course of a couple of nights colouring pieces of paste to try to get the shades just right and ended up with hands that were a kaleidoscope of colours….I’ll admit, I’m a messy caker!

 
Once the colours were made up I wandered off and didn’t get stuck in until last Saturday. Then, the fun started! I kept the buildings fairly simple (appliqued paste) but knew I wanted to try to get as many 3D and textured elements into it as was feasible. With that in mind the grass was extruded, the little bit of beach I had was stippled, the road shading was royal icing and my lamps were modelled in 3D to help them stand out. All the outline work was royal iced and then painted in gold lustre to bring the whole piece together nicely!
 

Once the that was complete I then had to tackle the cake part. I chose to use rice krispie treats and had a serious case of the fear each time I took the knife to it to get the dimensions  correct but I seem to have gotten there in the end J

Love how this turned out and am so glad I took loads of photos before I delivered it!
 
 

Thanks so much to all the fabulous cakers involved in the brilliant project and to our commander in chief Niamh Geraghty! I’m beside myself with excitement waiting to see it in the flesh on Friday evening!!

No comments:

Post a Comment