Friday 20 September 2013

Cake Queen 7C - Valerie Dennan Orr

I was so excited and also terrified at the prospect of being involved in this piece.  Out of the 50 cakers, I was the only non-professional.  How daunting! I figured that to be considered is an honour and if I ran into trouble, I could run to one of the others screaming for help!  My piece arrived in the post and I was itching to get started but had a few weeks to wait.  The initial difficulty I had with my piece was that it had no single clear element like a bird or a boat that I could focus on, but in the end I was happy with this as it made my piece abstract and added a new element of interest.

When the time came, I decided to measure and cut my sugar plaque and just go with it.  I marked out the locations of some key elements on the piece and went from there.  I used both sugarpaste and royal icing on it.  The royal icing was piped for the gold outline but also splodged on for texture within the piece.  The colours were obtained using edible pigment pastes and pigment powders either painted directly on or mixed with alcohol.

The big problem for me was carving the cake to the exact measurements, it's so easy to get caught up and overdo it.











No comments:

Post a Comment