Friday 20 September 2013

Cake Queen 1E that’s me Sandra Kinnear

I was in on Holidays in Canada when I got a text message from Cake Queen aka Marian “check your Facebook you have a message” the message was from another Cake Queen aka Agatha and she was
telling me briefly about the project and asked me would I like to get involved, my first thought was wow the Irish version of the “Starry Night” project and I was delighted and thrilled to be asked to be part of it.

I received my picture in the post on the 4th of September and I immediately started to decide how I would complete it…

My first step was to trace the image on to baking paper, then I cut the flower paste to the exact size (as per Instructions) I used a scribe to scratch the image on to the paste, I then started to paint the picture using edible colours, and when it was dry I used Royal icing to do the outlines, and then painted them gold.






My next stage was to make the cake I decided to make a 6” square Chocolate Biscuit cake and carved it to the size of the picture, I ganached it to give the sharp edges and smooth sides and used my set square and level to ensure I got them right, this part was harder than the topper, when I was happy with it I spread a thin layer of Royal Icing on the topper then placed it on top of the cake and let out a big sigh of relief…


I called to cake Queen Geraldine on Sunday to deliver my piece and saw some of the other pieces and the excitement of seeing the whole project complete was great…

Thanks a million to Niamh and Ger for including me in this fab project and I get to be a “Cake Queen” for a day…   

No comments:

Post a Comment