Wednesday 18 September 2013

Cake Queen 2a - Darina Kelly (Darina's Delicious Delights)

When the idea of this amazing project came about I was delighted to be asked to be
part of it by Niamh and I must admit a bit terrified!  But what a project to be a part of!

The envelope with my image came through the door on August 2nd and I immediately had lots of ideas running through my head.  My piece was the top of the Spire and the Irish flag not forgetting the seagull and other little bits!



I started my piece on the 10th September the hardest part was getting the dimensions so exact!  I first cut my piece of florist paste to size and I let that dry for an hour or two I decided on the medium of cocoa butter and hand painted my piece with a variety of dust colours. 


To bring the piece to life I then hand piped outlines on each piece with royal icing and then lustred over with a gold dust.  I gave my piece three days to fully dry before attaching it to my block of rice krispie treats, it was then carefully put in a cake box with bubble wrap for a trip to Dublin!



It's been a pleasure to be involved in such an amazing project to make the beautiful painting by Simone Walsh Croke Park to the Aviva.  I can't wait to see all fifty pieces joined together like a jigsaw.  I'm sure it will be spectacular thanks to each and every one of you Cake Queens x



No comments:

Post a Comment