Wednesday 18 September 2013

1B - Cake Queen Aisha's attempt at blogging...



One lazy evening, my friend Agatha asked me if I'd like to be part of a group that is making a cake version of a painting. I got very excited and apprehensive at the same time- will I be able to pull it off? I am not a professional- will I need to be a registered caker and so on.
It was exciting and scary at the same time. I got 1/50th of the picture and started the process of staring at it...and more staring.
 

 
 
I wanted to try on different mediums on my part but didn't want to overdo it. I started off by tracing the picture onto a piece of tracing paper with a pencil and then tracing that on to sugar paste with a scribing needle.
 

 
 
My water was silicon gel mixed with many shades of blue and a dash of edible glitter. The finished piece made me smile like a looney.
 
 
I was meant to start working on the actual cake the next day but lo and behold, on my way to work the next day, I fell and ended up with a cast and crutches! Sad, I know. Here's a pic of my poor foot -
 
 
 
This delayed me but in the end, I finished and dropped my piece on time. I am very thankful to Niamh and Geraldine for having an amateur like me on such a fantabulous project. Thank you Agatha for thinking of me. And a big thanks to my brother Talha for putting up with me and advising me when I got impatient. Looking forward to being a part of many more amazing collaborations with my fellow cake queens.
 
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment