Wednesday 18 September 2013

Cake Queen 9a - Deirdre from Cruites Creative Cakes

Hello from ‘Queen Dee’ better known as Deirdre Cruite

I was in Portugal nursing a Cocktail or two when I heard the familiar beep on the mobile indicating a face book message. I had a quick look and saw something about ‘Edible Art’ I thought nothing of it , within 60 seconds ,another 10-20 beeps-  so I figured I’d better have a look.  Niamh and half of my cake buddies were discussing something about ‘Edible Art’ for Culture Night and asking who was in. Without much thought I posted ‘I’m in’. In the following days there were discussions on what picture to choose and finally a picture by Simone Walsh was chosen.
On my return I got a clearer  understanding  of what ‘I’m in’ actually meant.  In mid August  I  like many others eagerly waited for the postman to arrive with my envelope which was to contain a photograph of my section of the cake, I looked at it, posted it on face book then studied it again, and then put it away.  In the weeks that followed my thoughts kept going back to the many colours and textures in the picture almost 5 different shades of blue for the sea and pinks and purples for the boat. I wanted to give the picture some depth. In the end I decided to use royal icing, run outs and off set pieces.
I began my preparation three weeks ago, I prepared my boards for icing, and I flooded out one entire piece and then the houses and mountains. I did separate run outs for the boat and lighthouse.
The sea effect was made using royal icing in 4 different colour blues and one white, I ran all the colours into each other and then swirled them with cocktail stick. When all the pieces were dry I placed boat and light house in the correct area. After looking at my own work I felt the houses looked a little lost, so I made a run out for them also. When all pieces were in place I piped all the extra detail and painted them gold.  When you look down on the picture the boat and lighthouse are raised higher then the water and the mountain looks like it is behind the houses. Using cake boards I constructed a makeshift box/tin to ensure I had the exact measurements for the chocolate biscuit cake and it worked pretty well with the exception of a few shavings. I was most concerned about the angles of the cake being correct as it had to fit perfectly with many others.


I really enjoyed the experience of participating in such a wonderful project with such a great bunch of people. The banter, chat and support on face book has been enormous between friends and the anticipation of seeing 50 cakes becoming one has been so exciting.







No comments:

Post a Comment