Wednesday 18 September 2013

Cake Queen 7b - Anne from Cakes Glorious Cakes

I'm Anne Geraghty of Cakes Glorious Cakes.


On the 1st of August a little white envelope landed in my letterbox. And God could I not wait to open it, as a couple of weeks earlier the amazingly talented Niamh Geraghty from Perfectionist Confectionist had asked me was I interested in taking part in a fandabbydosie project... and sure why wouldn't I!!!

My piece was basically the Viking Ship, (though I had to ask a couple of ladies what it was, I though it was a Barber Shop Canopy...!)
I couldn't wait to get stuck in, and started my piece on Saturday the 14th September, I decided to focus on the ship.  So after cutting out my florist paste to the exact measurement - and let me tell you that was hardship!!  It took me about 2.5hrs to get it right.  Then I cut out the sail and the ship, I dried the sail over a glass to give it a bend.  Then I thought... Jesus I better ok this with Niamh... And the lady from Malahide she say yeaaaa!!  Then I'd to  trace the picture I'd to copy onto my panel.  I started mixing my edible paste colours.  Holy god who knew there was soooo many shades of blue.  As you can see I had to mix a lot of colours.  I got into it after a while so I kept at it for a while on Saturday , and then decided to call it a day.  

On Sunday my sail and boat were dry enough to colour with the edible paste.  And that's when I fell in love with my piece, as the red and white just brought it all to life.  I used Royal Icing to glue the sail and boat onto the panel.  I also used Royal Icing to outline all the individual sections on it.  When it was dry I used a gold paste mixed with a paprika colour to get the Bronze colour.  I finished off my piece by shading and highlighting the piece.  And when it was completely dry on Sunday night I attached it to my CBC block, which I had made and cut to size.  I must have a phobia about sizes, as it took me a while to get to the right measurement!!  I can't explain how excited I am to be involved in this Edible Art project, I have butterflies in my tummy.  Roll on September 20th when I meet the other 49 queens and finally get to see all the cakes together to make the beautiful painting by Simone Walsh Croke Park to the Aviva .


No comments:

Post a Comment