Wednesday 18 September 2013

Cake queen 6e - Jenny Dowd from Lily Belles Cakes



While on holidays I got a mail from one Ms.Niamh Geraghty asking if I would like to be part of a project she had in mind. Im in, was the quick reply, as quick as you can holding a phone up,to the ceiling...that's how you get wifi abroad isn't it. Once home the memories of my 1st year art teachers telling me that I should do Classical studies instead of art sank in. Seriously, Classical Studies, where did they think I went to school, we all know its made up subject for those who can't draw. So I wavered a bit.  The envelope arrived and it had to give me a pep talk
The time came to get to work. I traced the picture on to parchment paper and made an "organised list" of all the colours To fig out of various boxes and presses. I rolled out flower paste and spent a lot of time measuring and remeasuring to get the correct dimensions. That took my mind of actually painting! Got the colours out and started mixing various blues, and green..god that green!  I used a pokey tool (technicial term??) to trace the picture on to the flower paste, then went over the imprint with an edible maker. Long way around I know now, but hey!  Then started painting.  I don't have pictures of the I between as I didn't breathe throughout..never mind take photos. I used an extruder gun to make thin rolls of paste to mark all the outlines and painted them gold. 

Then the cake, I decided to make RKT as the base of the cake. With every ruler and tape measure in the house it was down to the task of getting the exact height. Didn't help when all sense of measurement went out the window and I asked himself is that 3" on the Minnie mouse ruler...hmmmm...no it wasn't it was 3cm..Ladies never trust a man who doesn't know the difference between 3cm and 3".. Ahem.!
Got there, ganached it and covered the ends with flower paste. Loved every minute of it, have had a lot of laughs with the other cakers and am very honoured and pleased to have been a part of this. Big thank you to the other 49 cakers, Karen who did my drop off and the  BIGGEST thanks ever to Niamh and also to Ger. It's been a blast and the Cake Queens done good.



No comments:

Post a Comment